Friday, May 3, 2013

They’ve Arrived!

My first shipment of drugs just arrived!  I feel like it’s Christmas!!  When I get the second shipment tomorrow, I’ll post a picture of everything.  It’s going to be a lot of stuff and a lot of confusion, I’m afraid.

Anyway, as I mentioned yesterday, I am starting two shots on Sunday:  Follistim and Menopur.  My basic explanation is that both of these drugs stimulate my ovaries to produce eggs, and hopefully lots of good quality eggs!  However, I thought I would Google it to see exactly what they do.  I was mostly right, I think.  J  (I have a hard time understanding some of these terms, so I’m looking them up as I go.  Also, if you find that anything I state is incorrect, please, correct me, so I can have accurate information on my blog; Carri, especially you…I know you know this information!)

Follistim
Follistim is used in the induction of ovulation and pregnancy in anovulatory* infertile women in whom the cause of infertility is functional and not due to primary ovarian failure. (Does not pertain to me.)  Development of multiple follicles in ovulatory women participating in an Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) program (which is IVF for me).
*anovulatory = absence of ovulation

Menopur
MENOPUR® (menotropins for injection, USP) is a prescription medicine that contains hormones. MENOPUR contains the hormones follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH)**. These hormones stimulate healthy ovaries to make eggs. MENOPUR is used for women who need medical help to get pregnant. Your doctor may prescribe more than one medicine as part of a pregnancy plan.
**FSH & LH = FSH & LH are produced by the pituitary gland.  In women, FSH & LH help control the menstrual cycle and the production of eggs by the ovaries.  The amount of FSH & LH vary throughout a woman's menstrual cycle and are highest just before she releases an egg (ovulates).  The amount of FSH & LH and other hormones (estrogen and progesterone) are measured in both a man and a woman to determine why the couple can't become pregnant (infertility).  The FSH & LH levels can help determine whether male or female sex organs (testicles or ovaries) are functioning properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment