Friday, January 17, 2014

Our Future

I want to start this entry by stating that I think Dr. Bundren is a fantastic IVF doctor…despite his inability to get me pregnant.  Also, I love his entire staff and think Mary Kathryn is quite fabulous, too…despite their continued issues with returning my calls.  However, Todd and I have decided to expand our options and see what else is out there.
Over the next 2 weeks, we have consultations with 3 new reproductive endocrinologists in Tulsa, Dallas, and St. Louis/Columbia, Missouri.  I’m excited and anxious and just ready to get to February 1, so we can discuss how we feel about our future with IVF.  We are not set on switching doctors, but we have to consider it.  Dr. Bundren cannot even see me for a follow-up consultation until February 25.  Plus, his staff did not fax my file to the doctor we are meeting on Monday, despite their promise to do just that.  I’m hoping to have a better feeling about another doctor by the time he can see me.  Fingers are crossed.

Also, after we have our IVF plan nailed down (or have finalized our decision to move past IVF), we will begin looking into the adoption process.  We have several friends who have offered to share with us the information they have from researching or actually adopting.  If we decide to go through with another IVF cycle, we are hoping to have an agency/attorney picked for adoption before we start our cycle.  That way, we will have a back-up plan ready to go once the IVF has finished, if necessary.  This is the first time we will have a back-up plan in place when we do an IVF cycle.  Maybe it will remove some of the pressure.

Our last option is to leave all of this behind and move on with our lives as parents to Kaleb, Taylor, and Kamie only.  I doubt that we will be follow that route at this time, but it’s still an option.
Please, keep us in your thoughts as we make this big decision over the next few weeks.  It could be the decision that gives us a biological child or not.

6 comments:

  1. So very excited to hear what you learn in the next fee weeks. We have made the decision to get a second opinion as well. It was hard for me to do but we just feel like it is the right thing. I like Dr.b but have been frustrated with some of the delays and just feel like a new prospective is in order. I will be praying that you get the answeres that will lead you to your little miracle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allison, I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this same issue. I would never steer anyone away from Bundren, but if he isn't giving you answers in the timeline you need them, it's time to look elsewhere. I understand that and wonder if that lack of communication hasn't caused me undue stress during my cycles. I completely understand your desire to seek a second opinion. If you need any referrals on new doctors, just let me know. I’ll be giving honest opinions of the ones I meet on the blog over the next 8 days. Hopefully, that will help you some, too. I’m praying for your success, as well! Hugs!!

      Delete
  2. Lifting you up in prayer today and the coming weeks. I also pray that the second opinions you get bring you both hope and comfort. You are a warrior and have been through a lot! Hoping for only the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chelsea! Your continued support means a lot to me. I'm still praying for you to have peace and comfort in His arms. Hoping you're doing well.

      Delete
  3. Laura, in your last post you said something about not wanting to be remembered only as a woman who struggled with infertility, and about your fear of taking about it so much that you alienate your friends. I might not be the best gauge of this, since you know how interesting I find this topic :). But I did want to tell you I think this current post really shows one of the reasons I love and respect you. I know you struggle and I know you have hard days...but you still manage to find a way to stay positive. I've seen honesty, pain and frustration in your words, but not once have I seen bitterness. You are still an amazing person who can always put a smile on my face. I imagine anyone who knows you feels this way too. I love both of you guys and can't wait to see you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're just the best! I wish I had read this earlier. You just made my day. We've texted some pretty awesome exchanges this week, but I want you to know that I find strength in you. You're a wonderful rock to have in my life. I love you so much!! I'm so very glad I was able to see you this weekend...and Jen and the twins. Your family brings Todd and me happiness and hope. We love all 4 of you!!!

      Delete