Sunday, June 7, 2015

IVF Cycle 5 - More Miscommunication, Travel Reset, & Shots

I do apologize for so many blog entries.  I know this is much more than I usually write.  However, I wanted to make sure I'm documenting this process, so I can remember everything.  Thank you to everyone that is still following along.
 
Tuesday, May 12, 2015
We have had one more little mini setback with being told one thing and finding out it’s completely different.  Shawnie, my IVF coordinator, contacted me today to tell me that Todd would be having his TESE surgery this Friday.  Well, my retrieval will not be until at least Saturday, so that doesn’t make me feel good at all.  They are supposed to retrieve from both of us on the same day to make sure everything is fresh for the ICSI process.  I don’t like where this is going.  I’m waiting for her to speak to the phlebotomist, but I’m thinking of contacting Dr. Ahlering directly.
 
As for the car rental, it turned out we couldn’t use free days with Todd’s account because National didn’t have any cars in St. Louis for the time we needed.  Who knew they could run out of cars in such a large city.  I did get our car rental refunded…I think.  I have to wait 10 business days to be for sure.  Dumb me didn’t think when I set a non-refundable, non-transferable rental.  However, Priceline is going to be kind enough to help us out since the change is for a medical reason.
 
Also, I was able to postpone my flight, so we now have 1 year to use the credits for that.  I already have a plan in mind!  Air trip!
 
Todd pushed back the dates on the hotel.  No issues there.
 
It seems all of that work we did to make decisions on lodging and transportation were just a lesson in futility.  I’m excited to be traveling with Todd instead of alone, though!
 
Also, I wanted to mention how I’m feeling about my shots this cycle:
·         Gonal-F:  This is the first time I’ve used Gonal-F.  It’s basically the same thing as Follistim, except that it’s not.  J  I already mentioned that the pens are different.  Well, the pain is different, too.  After you inject and remove the needle for Follistim, it feels like a dozen little needles pricking you.  Well, with Gonal-F, the pain is at the same time (after the needle is removed), but the pricking is more dull and spread over the entire area.  It’s like one larger pain instead of a dozen small pains.  It’s bearable, though.
·         Menopur:  In the past, I have said that Menopur feels like acid entering your body.  I don’t know what it is, but it doesn’t hurt as bad this time.  I have constant pain during the injection from where the needle is, but I’m not feeling the Menopur as much.  I’m not sure what changed on that, but thank you, baby Jesus!
·         Ganirelix:  After this shot is over and the needle is gone, I feel like I’m starting to bruise immediately.  I told Todd that.  He just kind of laughed at me…until he could see the bruise in the injection site an hour later.  It’s strange.
 
Those are the three shots I’m doing this cycle.  I’m keeping a shot count, so I can share that later, too.  However, I feel like the shots have gotten considerably easier.  Maybe that’s one of the benefits of being on your fifth cycle.
I hope everyone has had a thrilling Tuesday!

2 comments:

  1. When we were in STL once, the only vehicle available from the rental car company was a Fiat 500. It was rather hilarious to see Dustin rollin' in that bad boy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my! That would have cracked me up!! Why don't they have more cars?! They are a good sized city!

      Delete