Monday, May 13, 2013

It’s Getting So-Real!

Countdown:
Retrieval – 2 days!
Transfer – 7 days! – In one week, we’ll be pregnant!!


I titled this entry the way I did in honor of my sweet husband who hates only one thing in life…the word “surreal”.  He, actually, stopped rooting for our favorite Survivor player last night because he used the word twice in the season finale.  Ha!  When we were leaving Dr. Bundren’s office today, I told him that this was getting so…real for me.  He gave me a look and told me I was cutting it too close.  Man, I love Todd.  He cracks me up!

Anyway, the appointment went great!  Dr. Bundren is still counting 10 follicles, although they seem to have jumped ovaries.  J  Today, he saw 6 in one and 4 in the other.  Last week, they were split an even 5 and 5.  However, if you saw how still he had to hold Wandy to get a shot, you would understand why it may not be a perfect science.  Basically, he’s just getting an idea of how many he thinks we have and the size.  They seem to be measuring an average of 19mm.  That’s great, and he seemed very pleased with our progress today.  He was actually smiling bigger and laughing some today.  I’m not sure what was up, but I really enjoyed this Dr. B.  (Oh, and for the Dr. B patients that are keeping count, I had intern number 2 in our room today.  Still no entourage, but I’m not complaining.)

I had a different nurse draw my blood today.  Usually, it’s Kelly.  Today, it was Claudia.  I was bragging to her about how I hadn’t been bruising from all of these draws, and I bruise like a peach.  I was saying I think it had something to do with my hydration level and vitamins I’m taking.  She said it was that the technicians were so good.  I agreed.  Then, she stuck me and the vein rolled.  That was the first time that ever happened to me, and I didn’t like it one bit.  She had to start over, and luckily, she got it the second time.  Ugh!  I’ll probably bruise from that one.

After our session with Wandy and Dr. B, Mary Kathryn took a lot of time going over pre- and post-op procedures for Wednesday.  Then, she taught Todd how to give me the trigger (HCG) and Progesterone shots.  Both of these shots are intramuscular, which means they go in the muscle of my rear.  Todd or someone else has to give them to me.  The trigger shot has to be given tonight at 1am!!  (It’s purpose is to get my body to start ovulating.)  The Progesterone shot will be given at our usual 9:45pm time slot starting Wednesday.  (It’s purpose is to prepare the body for a fertilized egg.)  It will be given every day for the rest of the first trimester…assuming we get a BFP (big fat positive) in early June.  In order to make sure Todd hit the muscle, and not a bone, she drew smiley faces on both sides of my rear.  Yes, we will be leaving those there for the duration of this process.  We will be redrawing them as they fade!  Samantha told me today that Michael hit her bone one time; that won’t be happening to us.  Todd did a great job giving me a B12 shot today, though, so I’m not worried about this at all.  Now, I have been told that after a few weeks, these shots start to leave knots under the skin.  That’s when it really starts to hurt.  However, Carri said that by that point, she knew she was pregnant, so she was able to handle the pain.  I’m so excited to get to that point!

Tonight is my last Ganirelix shot, which means I will no longer be giving myself any more shots.

Tomorrow is a shot free day!  Woo hoo!

Back-tracking a little…we got to go see the 4-week young twins of our friends, Rachel & Dustin, on Saturday evening.  (As a reminder, they are Dr. Bundren’s patients and the ones that really sold me on going to him.)  Avery & Emma are so tiny and precious.  They were really good while we were there, and although one of them got a little fussy for just a minute, Todd was able to calm her.  He followed that with an “I’ve still got it.”  Makes me so happy to have him as the father to my future children!  Todd and I both got to hold one of the twins.  That’s my favorite thing about visiting our friends with twins…I don’t have to share my time with Todd!  J

Also, we went to church with my mom’s family yesterday and out to my Uncle Brad’s house to celebrate Mother’s Day.  It was a wonderful day!  He lives out on the river, and the kids have a ton of fun things to do out there.  We always love the holidays at his house.  My mom surprised me with a super sweet gift; it’s a bracelet that says “Believe”.  I’ll be wearing it every day through the rest of this process…or at least have it in my bag during our procedures.  Todd bought me some super cute and stylish orange sunglasses.  That’s my favorite color, and I love them!
Jenny (sister), Mimi, Mom, me

My "Believe" bracelet
Other than that, I’m still euphoric and feeling pretty good.  I have moments when I feel some pressure from the follicles, but it’s nothing I can’t handle.  It's definitely stronger later in the day, and I can't feel much in the morning.  I wonder if that's normal?!  I’m still not sleeping very well because of this allergy cough I have, now.  Mary Kathryn gave me a few extra drugs I could start trying.  I hope they kick in soon!

I can’t believe our retrieval is in 2 days!  I have a massage tomorrow night after work, so I should be good and relaxed for Wednesday.  J  Hope everyone has a fabulous week!

No comments:

Post a Comment