Thursday, May 23, 2013

What Does Progesterone Do?

I love this shirt, but seriously, why couldn't someone wipe that baby's chin?!
Well, I’m finally off bed rest.  Although I wasn’t ready to come back to work today, I was definitely ready to leave the master suite in our house.  Who knew there was a living room and kitchen past that door?!  J

I took my sweet time getting ready for work today so as to not rush myself.  On the way to work, I went in to get my blood drawn and ask Mary Kathryn a few questions.  Basically, I learned that I will be watching all of the activities Todd and the kids partake in this weekend, but it will be totally worth it.  The only fear is keeping it from the kids that we did IVF this month until we get our BFP on June 3.  I think we’ll be able to do it, though.

Anyway, Mary Kathryn called a bit ago to tell me my Progesterone levels are at 37.  She said this was good because she wasn’t going to increase my shots from 1cc.  Basically, they’re just making sure you have enough in your system.

I did a little research to be able to talk a little more intelligibly on Progesterone.  It’s a naturally produced chemical that I’m not producing.  J  It “comes from the empty egg follicle in women’s bodies after ovulation.”  However, from what I understand, since they aspirated all of the fluid from my follicles during the egg retrieval, I won’t produce enough on my own.  Hence, the shots.  Specific examples of what Progesterone does are:
·         Growth and maintenance of the endometrium
·         Prevent any other eggs coming to maturation
·         Relaxes the major muscles of the uterus to prevent early contractions
·         Prevents lactation until birth
·         Thickens the muscle in preparation for labor


In layman’s terms, Progesterone helps the transfer to stick.  J  I find all of this fascinating!

As for how we are doing physically and emotionally, we’re both physically on the mend.  Todd’s still a bit sore, and the only complaint I have is my back pain from lying around since Monday.  It’s getting better, though.  Emotionally, we are bundles of joy.  I know the other girls are dying to get to the pregnancy test, but I’ve done a pretty good job just not thinking about it.  I have been praying a lot for patience, which God knows, I’m not usually full of.  J 

After we received the news that none of our other embryos made it to cryopreservation, I decided that meant one of two things:
1.       God knows these two will stick, and we won’t need any other embryos.
2.       God is about to teach me more about patience.
I’m praying it’s the first one!  Somehow, this train of thought is giving me peace of mind.  Plus, the kids come tomorrow, so I know I'll be busy for the next week!!

All in all, we’re still euphoric and feeling better every day!  I’m excited for my next Progesterone check on Wednesday.  Happy Thursday everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Nothing witty or insightful to say today! Just "Hi!" and "Thinkin about you guys and the embabies" and "Yay for being off of bed rest" and "Yay for having some good distractions coming" and "How the heck are you not a bundle of nerves? Or did you just distribute that to the rest of us for you?" :) Have a WONDERFUL weekend dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashleigh, I keep wondering how I'm not a bundle of nerves, either. I think this praying thing is really working for me this time around. :) Thanks for thinking of me. If I haven't told you lately, you rock! I hope you have a fabulous weekend, too!

      Delete
  2. Well, I don't know why the heck I am taking progesterone. I don't need any of that! No wonder my doc told me I could wean myself off if I wanted. However, he did say it helps with hot flashes, sleeplessness, etc. maybe I better not just yet. Guess it is for different things at different times in our life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom, you're not trying to get pregnant?! I'm so confused! ;-)
      Here is what they say about taking it during menopause on that site:
      Progesterone levels have also been known to decrease in women who have reached a later stage of life and are experiencing one of the 34 menopause symptoms. IF a woman’s body is less capable of producing such important hormones as: estrogen, progesterone and testosterone it can create a hormonal imbalance. Progesterone is important to the menstrual cycle and women who suffer from the menopause symptom known as irregular periods run the risk of being susceptible to endometrial cancer.

      If Dr. Z said you could stop it, though, I would bet you're past the stage where endometrial cancer is a concern.

      Delete